A Summary of Chlorophyll Benefits
The benefits of chlorophyll have been discovered for many years in the field of science and research. But what is chlorophyll, what makes it special and what benefits can you get out of it? This article presents some basic information about chlorophyll and its health benefits.
What is Chlorophyll?
Chlorophyll is actually responsible for the green pigmentation in plants. What does chlorophyll do? Chlorophyll is what absorbs energy from the sun to facilitate photosynthesis in plants. Chlorophyll to plants is like blood to humans. It is important in many plant metabolic functions such as growth and respiration.
Interestingly, chlorophyll is chemically similar in composition to that of human blood, except that the central atom in chlorophyll is magnesium, while iron is central in human blood. This, and the fact that chlorophyll is central in plan metabolism, had prompted scientists to find out if chlorophyll can offer similar benefits to humans. A number of chlorophyll researches have been focused on finding out the potential chlorophyll health benefits in humans.
Health Benefits of Chlorophyll
True enough, chlorophyll has been seen to provide health benefits to those who take them. It has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties. Here are some of the known chlorophyll benefits:
- It has been seen to help in the growth and repair of tissues.
- Chlorophyll helps in neutralizing the pollution that we breathe in and intake everyday - a good supplement for smokers.
- It efficiently delivers magnesium and helps the blood in carrying the much needed oxygen to all cells and tissues.
- It is also found to be useful in assimilating and chelating calcium and other heavy minerals.
- It had been seen to have a good potential in stimulating red blood cells to improve oxygen supply.
- Along with other vitamins such as A, C and E, chlorophyll has been seen to help neutralize free radicals that do damage to healthy cells.
- Chlorophyll is also an effective deodorizer to reduce bad breath, urine, fecal waste, and body odor.
- It may reduce the ability of carcinogens to bind with the DNA in different major organs in the body.
- Chlorophyll may be useful in treating calcium oxalate stone ailments.
- It possesses some anti-atherogenic activity as well.
- It can be used to treat infected wounds naturally.
- These are only a few of the multitude benefits that chlorophyll can do to the body.
- It has antimutagenic and anti-carcinogenic properties so that it may be helpful in protecting your body against toxins and in reducing drug side effects.
Chlorophyll Sources - Where to Buy Chlorophyll Supplements
The only obvious chlorophyll sources are green leafy plants. However, cooking destroys much of the chlorophyll. If you want to enjoy the aforementioned benefits of chlorophyll, it is best to get your regular supply through chlorophyll supplements.
Chlorophyll extracts, chlorophyll liquid solutions and chlorophyll tablets are now widely available and can be bought in local drug and health stores. Whether they are in liquid of tablet form, chlorophyll benefits can allow you to enjoy a stronger immune system, strong set of tissues and organs, and a naturally healthy body and life.