Benefits of Lutein for Better Health
Lutein supplements have been getting a lot of press lately as being a great substance for the eyes. But, taking lutein for the eyes is only one of the possibilities. Lutein has a lot of other benefits.
What is Lutein?
Lutein is a member of the carotene family and is found naturally in foods. It is a caratonoid which indicates that it is naturally available. If you want to benefit your health you can take a lutein supplement to help with certain conditions. It is a potent antioxidant and the benefits of lutein are maximized when you take it daily. If you want to do something great for your health, lutein is a good option.
Since lutein is a carotene, which means that it is in the same family of nutrients as beta carotene, it stands to reason that the effects of lutein are enhanced when taking a lutein spectrum supplement that also includes beta carotene and other carotenes.
Benefits of Lutein
There are several benefits of lutein to consider while deciding if you should take it. Here is a list of the benefits:
- It is an antioxidant so it eliminates free radicals from the body.
- Lutein has several positive benefits for the eyes, especially when the compounds lutein and xeaxanthin are mixed. Xeaxanthin helps enhance the affect.
- There are also cardiovascular system benefits that come about when taking lutein.
- Lutein is great for the skin and helps keep it healthy.
Food Sources of Lutein
It is possible to eat lutein rich food to boost your intake of the nutrient. The lutein found in these foods is a good source for the body. Unfortunately it is not always possible to make sure you are getting enough lutein foods in your diet. Here is a list of foods that all have lutein:
- Green leafy vegetables such as dark lettuce.
- Egg yolks - the carotenes in egg yolks are responsible for the yellow color.
- Corn is also a good source of lutein.
Even though it is possible to find them in foods, keep in mind that it doesn't guarantee you are getting the proper amounts in your diet. Without enough lutein, your body will not have enough of the antioxidant to benefit.
Lutein Side Effects
Before taking lutein, there are some things to keep in mind. First, in reference to the side effects of lutein, there are actually no documented side effects. However, beware of overdosing it. Taking too much of any caratonoid is not a good thing because it can build up in the body and become harmful. Either way, you should consult with your physician before you take it.
If you want to experience the benefits of lutein, it is best if you take a lutein supplement, especially if you do not eat enough lutein rich foods. If you are interested in taking it, you need to pay attention to the proper lutein dosage. Please see this article for more information on the lutein dosage.
We recommend Total Balance formula because it contains lutein and a host of other beneficial ingredients. It is a high quality nutritional supplement that contains a range of ingredients to enhance overall health. Here are the highlights:
- Contains lutein, xeanthanine (they work together), bilberry, rutin, and glutathione
- Enteric coated to boost the absorbability and deliver the nutrients to the right spot in your body.
- Great value - contains 60,000 mgs of active ingredients.
- Formula is designed with synergy in mind. Each quality ingredient is chosen because they all work well together.
If you decide you want to take Lutein, examine all the facts. For any supplement, including Total Balance, do your own research and make your own decisions.