Some Interesting Barley Soup Recipes
As barley is whole grain, you should expect that it may take time for it to cook. Cooking barley involves at least a few hours. However, most barley soup recipes are set-and-cook, meaning that you can add in all ingredients then leave it cooking while you go to work or rest for the night. Below are some barley soup recipe suggestions:
Beef Barley Soup Recipe
Beef barley soup recipes come in various varieties, and you can add in vegetables to make it even more nutritious. Here is one recipe for beef barley soup that you can try:
- Ingredients: 2 cups diced cooked beef, 10 cups beef stock, 3/4 cup barley, 3 sprigs thyme (chopped), 1/2 cup wine, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 bay leaf, 1-1/2 cups onion (chopped), 1 cup carrots (chopped), 1 cup celery (chopped), 2 gloves garlic (minced), 1-1/2 cabbage (chopped), 2 cups potatoes (cubed), salt and pepper to taste
- Directions: Heat some olive oil over medium flame and sauté onions, celery, garlic and carrots for about 5 minutes. Add in the beef stock with the barley, thyme and bay leaf and heat until the barley is tender. Add in wine with the potatoes and beef. Add in some seasoning or browning sauce. Simmer for another 15 minutes then add cabbage. Serve when all the vegetables are tender.
Vegetable Barley Soup
You can imagine how much more nutrient rich a vegetable soup is if it is loaded with barley. Here is a barley recipe you can try:
- Ingredients: 2 quarts vegetable broth, 1 cup barley, 2 large carrots chopped, 2 celery stalks chopped, 1 zucchini chopped, 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can diced tomatoes (with juice), 3 bay leaves
- Seasoning: 1 tsp each of white sugar, garlic powder, salt, dried parsley, curry powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Directions: Into a large pot, pour in vegetable broth. Add in all ingredients followed by the seasoning. Bring everything to a boil, cover then simmer over medium heat for about an hour and a half. Expect the barley soup to be thick in consistency. Remove the bay leaves before you serve.
- Ingredients: (Set A) 2 quarts water, 1 lb. fresh mushrooms sliced, 2 carrots diced, 1 stalk celery chopped, 5 lbs. pearl barley, 1/2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp salt; (Set B) diced onions, 2 tbsp butter
- Directions: Combine all Set A ingredients in a large pot at low heat, and cook for a few hours (you can do this all night). In the morning, sauté onions in butter. Add in the soup and carrots then cook for 30 minutes. Add in flour and milk and simmer for another 30 minutes before serving.
Mushroom Barley Soup
You can add an interesting kick into your regular mushroom soup by adding in some barley. Here is a very simple recipe:
Try out these barley soup recipes and cook your way to good health.